Metabolism is your body’s way of converting the food you ate into the energy your body needs to move, think, and survive. Losing weight and having a fast metabolism go hand and hand. These days there are numerous products on the market advertising metabolism-boosting properties. While some of those may be effect, some are toxic and can actually be more detrimental to health. Below are eight easy ways to boost metabolism naturally and effectively.
1. Get enough sleep at night. Research has proven the link between poor sleeping patterns and poor health. In particular, poor sleep can affect your hormones which can affect metabolism and weight.
2. Avoid toxins that disrupt hormone balances. Having a hormonal imbalance has a negative effect on the body’s ability to burn calories. Toxins commonly found in plastic bottles and food packaging (BPA) disrupt the body’s endocrine system.
3. Eat breakfast. Eating breakfast gives the body more energy throughout the day. Having food in the morning gives the body something to break down for energy after having had no food for the hours you were sleeping. Studies have also shown that eating breakfast helps to decrease unnecessary eating and snacking throughout the day.
4. Eat slowly. We don’t always have time for this one, but it’s important to prevent overeating. There is a natural delay in the body’s response to feeling full. Eating too fast means there’s a higher likelihood of eating past the point of being full, thus overeating.
5. Drink more water. Increasing water intake aids digestion and is just good for the body. Having some green tea occasionally is also a simple way to add natural fat-burning into the diet.
6. Eat fresh fruits and veggies. Take a look at your daily food intake and see where you can cut out even a few empty calories from junk food or excess sugar. Small, simple changes can make a big difference. Wherever possible, replace processed foods with healthy alternatives like fruit, vegetables, nuts, and yogurt. Having a piece of fruit following a meal can replace the sugar craving for dessert. Vegetables add fiber which is more work for your body to break down which helps to improve metabolism.
7. Exercise daily. Doing some sort of workout daily, even if only for a few minutes, will improve metabolism. 15 minutes of intense exercise and sweat has been shown to affect your body’s functions and aid in weight loss. Adding more daily exercise doesn’t have to be a huge ordeal. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking further away from the store are two simple ways to improve.
8. Keep going. Don’t stop after only a few days of no improvements. Every body is different and responds differently to change. Many people become discouraged after not seeing instant results. Creating a new habit take time, so keep up the routine for a few months and before long, the changes will be noticeable. If you get frustrated or have any questions please feel free to contact me, I am here to help.
For more ways to make healthy lifestyle improvements, check with Dr. Shapero. With over 26 years of experience as a functional wellness doctor chances are we have a simple easy to follow solution for your health concerns.
SOURCE: Evans, Andre. “8 Basic, Natural Ways to Boost Metabolism.” Natural Society. N.p., 07 Apr. 2015. Web. 12 Apr. 2015.
To Your Health, Dr. Shapero
EXPECT MIRACLES – WE DO
Posts tagged ‘Health’